Sunday, January 27, 2013

Knights in Pop Culture

Impractical Jokers: Old English

When thinking about "What in my pop culture references knights?" I couldn't really think of anything because I didn't think I watched anything that had to do with knights. Until I really thought about it, the show, Impractical Jokers, popped into my head. I remembered in one episode, one of the guys, Q, talked in Old English for one of his challenges. From watching things about knights in class, I found that knights talk in Old English, too. So I thought the show made a reference to knights. Then when the professor started talking about other shows that referenced knights. I realized this show and knights relate too. Knights challenge other knights to fight. In the show, each guy is challenged by the others to do or say crazy things to win. So to me, I think that in some way this show is showing knightly references in many ways.

Full Metal Jousting

Since I was having trouble thinking of other things that referenced knights, my boyfriend told me about this one show. It's called Full Metal Jousting. The men in the show have to do what the knights did and joust each other in order to win $100,000. This references knights because this is what knights did. There are a few modifications though. Like safety, the suits the men wear in the show are more protective than the one the knights wore. And the money, knights may have jousted for many things, such as money, a woman, or just because they were challenged. But in the show, the men are doing it for the money. Nevertheless, jousting is very serious and it can cause injuries very easily. No matter what time period it is, the men who decide to joust are getting hurt. I think that this show references knights exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment